Monday, March 01, 2010

Sub Rosa (A Friendly Neighborhood Joint)

This was another birthday breakfast find. My husband was actually going to take me to Broder Cafe, which used to be Henry's Cafe. Broder's didn't open until 9am and we were there at 8:30am so we just walked around and found this little cafe, kitty corner to Broder. We actually came here once a few years ago when it was a little italian restaurant. I thought it was so sweet. I loved the little old town feel to the neighborhood. I'm so glad that it is a breakfast place now. They are typically a lunch/dinner restaurant serving salads, pizza and pasta and just recently started serving brunch, Sat-Sun from 8:30am-1pm. Their name says it well, it is definitely a friendly neighborhood joint. As we were sitting enjoying our lovely brunch, we watched a hip young couple getting ready to go for a run with their dog. A few ladies walked by the window at different times with their yoga mats, ready for their weekend workout. An older man had his dog tied up outside enjoying the glimpse of sunshine while he read his paper and drank his coffee at a table behind us and a lovely women walked by with her fluffy white dog all decked out in (I'm assuming) her little pink sweater.

I loved that their menus were lovingly used and
had coffee stains all over them. Perfect! I also loved that they listed the sources of their food and founders. How great is that. Shouldn't we all want to know where the food we are about to put in our bodies, is from and who is preparing it. Brilliant. It gave me an idea, along with watching Food Inc. (which every American should watch) to start asking where each restaurant gets their food and let them know that I will be posting their sources or that they would not reveal their sources. Would that interest any of you breakfast lovers out there?



I actually ordered the veggie sausage eggs benedict. I splurged, and I'm so glad I did. I would have never guessed the sausage was vegetarian, it had great flavor. Everything was so delish. My husband had the breakfast burrito which was also full of flavor and filling. The prices start around $9+ for most items, though you can get the basic eggs, potatoes and toast for $7. The coffee is Nossa Familia, which Petite Provence also serves. I'm pretty sure they are a Fair trade, local company. They were not busy at all, probably due to the fact that they just recently started serving brunch. It is a pretty small space, but they might be able to accommodate a somewhat larger group by moving tables together. Charming!

  • 2601 SE Clinton St
    Portland, OR 97202
  • 503-233-1955
  • Hours

12 comments:

Edward said...

Hi!! I'm really great to have found your blog. The places look like great breakfast places.

I just have a couple of suggestion of breakfast places for you to try and review. Perhaps, add to your collection! :)

1st is Pine state biscuit.
3640 SE Belmont Street
Portland, OR 97214
(503) 236-3346
Open 7 days a week, 7am - 2pm
www.pinestatebiscuit.com

2nd is Fat City Cafe‎
7820 Southwest Capitol Highway, Portland, OR 97219-2466
(503) 245-5457‎
I recommend the chicken fried steak here!

coffeeGirl said...

Thanks Edward. I actually went to Pine State Biscuit, but there was quite a wait and it was raining so we ended up going somewhere else. I'll give it another try.
Also, I use to live very close to Fat City Cafe (and I miss it) so I have experienced their good food but it was before I started this blog. I'll have to get back in there again.
The whole "chicken fried steak" thing has always seemed weird to me, but maybe I'll go out on a limb and try it, we'll see...

Edward said...

Have you been busy or something?? It's been more than a month since I visit your blog. Still no update?? :)

I'm sorry but I've read ur reply to my post only today.

Keep up the good job!

coffeeGirl said...

You caught me. Yes, I've been a bit occupied, though not enough to not go to breakfast, only to keep me from posting them. I will try to make time soon. Thanks for the nudge to get on it!

andrea said...

So glad I found your blog! I really wanted to find a nice place for breakfast in Portland! I live in Seattle, and I'm not sure if you've ever been to Portage Bay Cafe but if not you should go. It's a bit fancier but the food is all organic and probably the best breakfast I've ever had. And I'm a big fan of breakfast. I take all my out of town friends when they visit.

Anonymous said...

Tasty and Son had an AWESOME breakfast!

Mary Ann 2 said...

Dear Coffee Girl, Thanks for your lovely review of SubRosa. Mary Ann

coffeeGirl said...

Edward I hope you have not left for lack of my posting and I hope you have enjoyed the latest.

Andrea, thank you for your comment, I'm so glad you found the blog and I hope you found a lovely place to enjoy the most important meal of the day. I will have to put Portage Bay on my list of places to try when I am next in Seattle.

Anonymous, I too am a fan of Tasty n Sons, will try to get a post up soon.

Mary Ann 2, You're welcome, thank you for the great food!

May you all enjoy many breakfasts to come!
Coffee Girl ;)

Edward said...

Hey, it's been sometime since I visit your blog :/

I visited recently but was having a hard time finding the post that has my comment on it.

Wanted to reply on the same page so u have an idea of who i am :P

I was very devastated when I found out that Little Red Bike Cafe has closed.

Any reccomendation which other place is similar to Little Red Bike Cafe?
(cosy and authentic breakfast place)

Unknown said...

This is such a nice post. very helpful. we are giving the best repair service in Noida.
Fridge Repair in Noida

Unknown said...

I always want to some new and unique. this post fulfill my expectation. thanks foe sharing. we are giving the repair services in Noida.
Refrigerator repair in noida

Unknown said...



What a great post. we are giving the best repair services in noida.
Refrigerator repair in noida