Wednesday, February 13, 2008

Call your mother...

"Call your Mother is the motto here, it is printed on the back of all their coffee mugs. So call your Mother and take her out for breakfast!

Ok, this is another favorite. This is where my husband and I went for breakfast the morning he took me to the Rose Gardens and asked me to marry him, ahhhh. I started my breakfast hobby when we were dating. That is what we did, we went on breakfast dates. I prefer morning dates to evening ones. You're not as likely to say or do something you'll regret.
On that note, let's start with the coffee. If you order the French press they serve Stumptown, if you just order the house coffee they serve Portland Roasters. Interesting I know. My take, Stumptown is a little more expensive so if you're willing to pay a little more for the French press, they're willing to give you the good stuff. If you just want to pay for a cup of coffee that they'll refill over and over...and over (in my case). They'll give you the good, not so expensive stuff. Thankfully I was with friends who bought the French press for me, knowing that I am a Stumptown snob. They know I'm cheap and I would've settled. Thanks Lattin's.

The food here is great. A little on the pricier side but worth it for the ambiance ($7-11). The frittata's are a little on the dry side, but still tasty. I love the scramble with prosciutto, sun dried tomatoes and feta.


Indulge yourself and enjoy a latte with the Stumptown signature swirl. Mmmm!

The oatmeal was enough to feed four people, and whatever you do, taste it before you add any brown sugar, it's already sweet.

You'll definitely want to show up early. They open at 9AM and the tables are usually filled the minute they open the doors. They do take reservations for parties of 6 or more I think, if you're early enough to snag one. This is a great place for bigger parties. Enjoy!
212 SW Stark St. Portland
Mothersbistro.com

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I agree that this is a favorite. I really like the combination of dressy look and casual feel. It's friendly but not overly chatty. Classy but not stuffy.

I also like that you went there on the day you got engaged. I took a girl I was trying to "court," but it didn't take. She's a friend now, but I was hoping for more at the time. Maybe I should have taken her to Simpatica for Sunday brunch!

Thanks for the write-up, and good to see you "back in the game."

Anonymous said...

The owner of Mothers has openly campaigned to get around minimum wage laws so she could pay her employees less. I love the food, but haven't been in years.

vladastone said...

Mothers has great Migas! yes. but you need to go try the new Cha Taqueria. they are doing a new breakfast buffet that is truly great Mexican in a beautiful new location on NW 21st. (and everett i think?)
I know you love coffee, and this is not really great coffee but... you still have to go try this one.

Anonymous said...

While I don't generally appreciate this fact, I'd like to point out to Anonymous that MOST restaurant workers get paid significantly less than minimum wage, which is legal because of the tips they make. If you're going to stop going to Mother's for this reason, I guess I won't see you eating at ANY food joint...

Mothers Bistro said...

Hi there. Owner of Mother's Bistro & Bar here. Thanks so much for the kind words and lovely review. We put our heart in everything we do, and are so glad you tasted it. To the person who claims I fought minimum wage-- that is not the case & my lengthy response to this terrible rumor can be found on http://www.blueoregon.com/2006/09/mothers_bistro_/. Again, thanks for the great site!

coffeeGirl said...

Always good to check your "rumors" before continuing them, I guess would be the motto here. Thanks everyone for your feedback.
Glad you like the blog "Mother"