Monday, November 15, 2010

Brasserie Montmartre

What a great place! My sister and I were walking by the Brasserie on one of Portland's beautiful sunny Autumn days. I noticed in their window, that they had a brunch menu and decided I had to come check them out. The day we went was an equally lovely day. It is wise to note that they don't serve brunch until 11am Mon-Sat and 10am Sundays.
It is a bit dark inside, to set the mood. So if you're the type that needs a bright cheerful place in the morning, this place would probably send you back to bed. There was hardly anybody here when we came, which I can only guess is because they haven't been open very long. They have just reopened since renovating after the building was condemned a few years ago. They've done a great job renovating. The interior is very French modern/eclectic with a little mysteriousness.
We enjoyed our breakfast with a little live piano music, always nice. Our waiter was very attentive and conversational, I like that. Their menu is not extensive, but it has a little of everything you're used to on a breakfast menu, even a little lox with your bagel if you're so inclined. Their portions are neither huge nor small. I could have easily shared a breakfast with my sister but ate a whole breakfast myself. They serve Illy coffee, which is good coffee, but I always wonder why people don't buy coffee local when there are such great roasters right here in Portland? That's fresh coffee! Oh well, at least it tasted good. There is plenty of seating here for big groups, which is hard to find at most breakfast places, that are worth going to, that is...
When I asked our waiter if he could tell me where they buy most of their food, he was very interested in getting me the information. I thought that was a great sign. He didn't have a ton of information, but he told me what he knew. It showed that they are making an effort. If you end up coming here be sure to ask them the story of the brick wall, it's interesting.

626 SW Park Avenue • Portland, Or 97205 • 503 . 236 . 3036

3 comments:

Elizabeth Fay said...

Sounds like a beautiful place to eat and the food looks amazing. Making me hungry right now. :-) I'll be sure to try it for myself whenever I get around to visiting Portland. Thanks for the review.

coffeeGirl said...

Thanks for your comment. It's always nice to know someone is out there. Yes do try it, you won't be disappointed.

Amy said...

Been there for Happy Hour and loved it, but have never been to breakfast there. Didn't even know they served it. I saw you got the Eggs Benedict, one of my favorite dishes.